10 Steps to Overcome the Fear of Failure
Fear and failure are two of the most avoided human experience, so if you combine them together to create a Fear of Failure, it can be one of the most paralyzing mental conditions. The irrational fear to fail should be a motivation for success but because the fear is stronger than the motivation; most people would rather not try at all – because they seem certain that they will fail anyway.
Here are simple steps to overcome fear of failure:
1. Be realistic about your goals. Start with something which you feel confident you will truly succeed then build yourself up towards larger and bigger goals in life.
2. Work towards each goal at the pace you are comfortable with. Make sure that you create some fluid form of timetable helps you work with an activity one step at a time.
3. Create success indicators along the way. Do not aim for the actual destination of the journey as the time when you feel good. Aim for the steps. Just like a long train journey, be thankful for the stops and the terminals along the way as they give you a sense of how far you have come from your journey.
4. Create a support group that inspires and motivates you. Include friends and family members you can count on to always prod you.
5. Relax and laugh at your mistakes. It only shows that you are human.
6. Learn to love yourself – warts and all. It is easy to forgive yourself for your mistakes if you truly love yourself.
7. Share with the successes of others, especially your friends. Be joyful for those who truly achieved and make them your inspiration.
8. Give yourself several chances.
9. Create a backup strategy. If you tried several times and still you fail, it is time to learn your lessons and move to a different approach of doing things.
10. Believe in the power of positive thinking. It always works.